An interview with Robert A. DeSimone, MD as published in Medical Lab Management, July/August 2017…
In this article by Transfusion Medicine Fellow, Dr. Robert A. DeSimone, he shares his experience with a small pilot study conducted at the New York Blood Center, and answers critical questions such as:
- What are the risks and benefits of accepting and reissuing returned blood cell concentrates?
- What has been the historical procedure when considering acceptance of RBCs without temperature maintenance?
- What are the weaknesses with the 30-minute rule?
- What method would you recommend the lab follow for accepting returned blood products?
- What implications does your study have for blood bank practice?
The article may also be viewed online at Medical Lab Management.